I-10 doesn’t have to be a long, boring drive… You’re a little ahead of schedule and you’ve got a few extra hours, so what’s your hurry? Why not take a side trip? Get off the Interstate and discover the real America… small towns, scenic coastlines, historic communities and some of the west coast’s most enjoyable roadtrips.
Billy the Kid Trail
Length: 84.0 mi / 135.2 km
Time: Two hours to drive the byway
Follow this byway through the rugged beauty of the million-acre Lincoln National Forest. From grassy plains to dense pine forests, the region is known for its stunning views and cool mountain climate. Visit historic Lincoln, once home to outlaw Billy the Kid and lawman Pat Garrett.
Driving the Byway
- Begin in Ruidoso and follow NM-48 to Hwy 70.
- Take Hwy 70 northeast to Hwy 380.
- Travel on Hwy 380 northwest to junction with NM-220.
- At the junction, take a small detour south through Fort Stanton and end up at the junction with NM-48.
- Return to junction of Hwy 380 and NM-220.
- Continue on Hwy 380 northwest to Capitan.
- At the junction of Hwy 380 and NM-48, take a left onto NM-48 and continue south through Angus.
- Continue on NM-48 south until you reach Ruidoso, the end of the byway loop.
On the road? Why not take us with you. Visit our growing family of exit guides: I-4 Exit Guide, I-5 Exit Guide, I-10 Exit Guide, I-75 Exit Guide, and I-95 Exit Guide. Detailed exit service listings… discount lodging, camping, food, gas and more for every exit along the way!